[Live-devel] QOS message of live555 ?

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Sun Dec 20 14:41:25 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Kevin.Liu <kevin.liu at innosofts.com> wrote:

>    The strange thing is that if I transport only audio stream like “mp3
> file”  the packet lost was very small ,but if I transport both audio and
> video stream like “mp4,mpg files” the packet loss was really big.
>
>  And I found that a 6M mpg file only transport 37 seconds (sdp message “
> a=range:npt=0-37.160”)  but a 5M mp3 file transport 301 seconds in the
> same network environment.

 This is not strange, it's perfectly normal.  Doing the math, your video
file is 1.3 mbit/sec (48 mbit / 37 seconds), while your mp3 file is 132
kbit/sec (40 mbit / 301 seconds), or roughly one-tenth the bandwidth of your
video file.  Your problem is obvious: your network does not have enough
bandwidth to transmit the video in real-time, and you're experiencing packet
loss (from the sound of it, you have about 1 mbit/sec of bandwidth).  You're
experiencing packet loss because your network is insufficient to transmit
the video stream, which is _much_ larger than the audio stream.

Like Ross said, get more bandwidth or smaller media.