[Live-devel] Retrieving media with RTSP/RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 30 05:18:33 PST 2009

>1. The first one is easy. We have compiled the openRTSP
>functionality to a library to be more flexible. Since a WSAStartup
>call is necessary on Windows, this is correctly done in the
>initializeWinsockIfNecessary call - the "f...ing lame comment" in
>the source code is so true :). Well, the obvious questions is where
>is the WSACleanup call? Well, there is a WSACleanup
>in initializeWinsockIfNecessary but only called when the winsock
>version is not found. So using live media on Windows should also
>require WSACleanup, which must be used in pair with WSAStartup. We
>solved this by removing the entire initializeWinsockIfNecessary and
>we are using a WSAStartup and WSACleanup calls outside the live
>media source code in our library.

I really don't care about "WSACleanup()"; that's just
Windows-specific crap, as far as I'm concerned.  Presumably the right
thing will happen when process eventually exits, and that's all I
care about.

>Now - the live media source code contains some exit commands that we
>are afraid of.

In each case, the calls to "exit()" should not be happening unless
there is a serious error in your programming - i.e., they should
never end up being called under normal circumstances.  If you want,
you can change them to something else, but (once again) they should
not ever get called in properly-written code.  You can think of them
as a debugging aid.