[Live-devel] Streaming mpeg1 videos only!

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Feb 24 07:39:44 PST 2009

>I have one question and hope, somebody can help me. I use
>live555mediaServer and I need to stream mpeg1-videos ONLY, means
>just a video-file (no audio). Is it possible? The comments I see,
>when starting the server tell, that only mpeg4 video elementary
>streams are accepted. mpeg1 can be used only for a program stream
>(audio+video).
>
>Is there a way to stream mpe1-videos only?

Yes.  You could do this by changing lines 130-135 in
"DynamicRTSPServer.cpp" from

     // Assumed to be a MPEG-1 or 2 Program Stream (audio+video) file:
     NEW_SMS("MPEG-1 or 2 Program Stream");
     MPEG1or2FileServerDemux* demux
       = MPEG1or2FileServerDemux::createNew(env, fileName, reuseSource);
     sms->addSubsession(demux->newVideoServerMediaSubsession());
     sms->addSubsession(demux->newAudioServerMediaSubsession());

     // Assumed to be a MPEG-1 or 2 Video Elementary Stream file:
     NEW_SMS("MPEG-1 or 2 Video Elementary Stream");
     sms->addSubsession(MPEG1or2VideoFileServerMediaSubsession
                ::createNew(env, fileName, reuseSource, False));

If you do this, your MPEG-1 or 2 Video Elementary Stream files must
have the filename extension ".mpg", and you will no longer be able to
stream MPEG Program Stream files.