[Live-devel] Question Concerning OnExpire in rtcp_from_spec

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jan 23 22:41:28 PST 2009

>I am having some difficultly understanding why a timeout of a
>transmission of a RTCP BYE packet in the OnExpire function of
>rtcp_from_spec.c necessitates an exit() call?  Is this condition
>truly a fatal error for the RTSP server?

The code in "rtcp_from_spec.c" is (deliberately) an exact, unaltered
copy of the RTCP timing code that's in the RTP/RTCP specification:
RFC 3550.  That's why the call to "exit(1)" is there - it's in the
RFC 3550 pseudocode.

You're right, though - we really shouldn't be exiting here.  A
solution - which will be in the next release of the code - is to just
redefine "exit()" as a noop in the header file ("rtcp_from_spec.h").