[Live-devel] Fwd: Why is RTSP needed apart from SDP?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jul 10 23:22:26 PDT 2009

>  >>>  Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
>>>
>>>  What's that missing information?
>>
>>  The client's port numbers.
>
>I'm sorry for my misunderstanding. What's the difference between those
>client port numbers and the port numbers that appear in the sdp m=
>description?

Generally speaking, the SDP description describes the session
information that is known to the server.  The port numbers,
therefore, are *server* port numbers (that the client would use when
sending RTCP reports back to the server, for example).  The client
port numbers are not in the SDP description.

For multicast sessions, this is not a problem, because  - for such
sessions - the client and server port numbers are always the same (as
is the IP (multicast) address).

For unicast sessions, however, the port numbers in the SDP
description are typically specified as 0, and the RTSP protocol is
used to determine the client and server port numbers (and the client
IP address).  Once again, our RTSP server implementation does all of
this automatically.