[Live-devel] Use RTP Seperately

Russell, Michael (mrusse05) mrusse05 at harris.com
Wed Jul 15 18:36:08 PDT 2009

Hi Ross -

Your response to Sean prompts me to ask for clarification for the both of us.

You replied to Sean:
>If you're streaming MPEG-4 video via RTP, then you must use a RTSP server.

It is my understanding that one purpose of RTSP when streaming MPEG4 video is to communicate the all-important SDP info to the client player.  And I understand that's why Sean and I (and the whole rest of the world) require RTSP to stream MPEG4 video.

But you also replied to me (in <http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-evel/2009-June/010842.html>):
>In princlple, all RTP media players need to first receive a SDP description that describes the stream.

So if one is streaming MPEG2 video instead of MPEG4, the SDP is still required.  But then how would one's client player even get an SDP presuming MPEG2 means no RTSP?