[Live-devel] Modifying testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer to Stream m4e Files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 12 14:48:47 PDT 2009

>I am using Live555 under Ubuntu Linux 9.04, streaming over a simple
>private LAN to a VLC client running under Windows.  Just cables and
>a switch.  No router, no firewalls.
>
>I modified testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer to stream unicast to a VLC
>client and it works well.  I now want to modify this application to
>read from an elementary stream video (.m4e/.m4v) file instead and
>stream that (still unicast).  The testOnDemandRTSPServer works well
>for this purpose, but I do not want the "on-demand" behavior of it.

You can't do this, because in order for VLC (or any other media
player) to be able to play a MPEG-4 video RTP stream, the media
player needs to be initialized with 'out of band' configuration
information that 's included in a SDP description.  By far the best
way to do this (especially in this case, because the configuration
information can change from stream to stream) is to use RTSP (which
delivers the appropriate SDP description to the client automatically).

Do not fear RTSP; RTSP is your friend.  Use the
"testOnDemandRTSPServer" demo application, and ask your VLC client to
play the appropriate "rtsp://" URL (which "testOnDemandRTSPServer"
will print out when it starts).

Also, read
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput-unicast