[Live-devel] how to stream mp4 file using liveMedia (typo corrected)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 24 22:22:46 PDT 2009

>I want to know whether MPEG4 has its specific transport stream
>format? Such as mp4 is a Mpeg4 specific file format. Then how about
>mpeg4's transport stream format? Or just reusing mpeg2ts, which is
>possible according to my test?

Although the MPEG Transport Stream was originally designed (I think)
for MPEG-1 or 2 audio/video, if can now carry many other codecs as
well, including MPEG-4 and H.264.

The RTP payload format for MPEG Transport Streams does not care about
the contents of such streams, and therefore our software for
streaming (sending/receiving) MPEG Transport Streams over RTP will
continue to work, regardless of its contents.

The one exception is our server 'trick play' support.  That currently
works only for MPEG Transport Streams that contain MPEG-1 or 2 video.