[Live-devel] Receiving in multiple threads

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Mar 7 18:09:38 PST 2009

>1.	My understanding is that so long as each instance of the
>library uses its own usageenvironment and event loop, it is ok to
>have multiple instances in multiple threads (although I agree this
>is really not advised).

Yes, this should work, in principle.  However, it has not been
extensively tested, and I can't guarantee  that there's not still
some inadvertently shared state somewhere.  (If anyone finds some,
though, please let us know, and I'll try to remove it.)

Have you tried putting your RTSP server in a separate *process* from
your input plugins.  (Since your plugins are communicating with the
server via pipes, this should be straightforward, I think...)

>3.	Would it make sense to add an optional base port for the
>client to use, similar to RTSPServer?

No, because there's no standard port number for RTSP *clients*.