[Live-devel] setupDatagramSocket - SO_REUSEADDR problems

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 10 23:06:58 PDT 2009

>It seems that the code on MediaSubsession::initiate will cause the effect
>I'am reporting when the OS offers the same odd port number for both the
>video and the audio stream.

Yes, you're right.  This bug got introduced in version 2008.12.20
when I changed the port number selection code in response to another
bug that some people were seeing.  (Before, the code was always
letting the OS choose the port number, and this was sometimes causing
a loop whereby the same (odd) port number would get chosen over and
over again.)

 From what I can tell, the problem occurs only if we end up making the
code - rather than the OS - choose a port number.  (So, SO_REUSEPORT
is not the problem, because even if this were not set, we'd end up
getting an error when we tried to create the socket with the same
port number the second time.)

It seems that I need to change the code again so that it always lets
the OS choose the port number, but be smarter about doing so, so we
don't end up in an infinite loop.  Stay tuned...