[Live-devel] Does LiveMedia take these conditions into account?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 19 23:05:21 PDT 2009

>Does LiveMedia take the conditions as follow into account:jitter
>caused by the network,skew due to tyhe asynchronous of two clock,and
>the adaption of the playout point in order to compensate the
>aforementioned conditions etc.
>     We know, these are all very common in the network,a robust
>implementation should take them into account.Where do you achieve
>these in LiveMedia and how?

Our software, in accordance with the RTP/RTCP standard, delivers - to
each client - data frames with an accurate presentation time.  These
presentation times are times in the *sender's* clock.

If the receiver's clock runs at a different rate than the sender's
clock (the clock used by the data presentation times), then the
receiving application may need to compensate for this.  The mechanism
that the application uses t odo so is (necessarily) application and
codec-specific, and best handled by media decoders (which are not
part of our software); therefore it is not something that we do in
our libraries.

(For example, the receiving application might choose to drop some
decoded audio samples, or to duplicate some decoded audio samples, as
appropriate.)