[Live-devel] H.264 streaming -- Not receiving all packets

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 24 15:12:34 PDT 2009

>If my H/W encoder is single-slice, am I doomed?

No, of course you're not 'doomed', but if your 'reference frames' are
very large (and you didn't say how large they typically are), then
they are going to be especially vulnerable to packet loss.  If you
could split them up into 'slice' NAL units in software (I'm not a
H.264 expert, so I don't know how easy/hard that would be), and
instead deliver - to the rest of the LIVE555 code - one 'slice' NAL
unit at a time, then that would be better.

>  Seems to be working well on a reliable network for 1080i @ 5 Mb/s.
>Anything higher (10 Mb/s) is not as stable but I haven't had time
>investigating why.

It's probably because (assuming your frame rate remains constant)
your 'reference frames' are doubling in size when you switch from 5
Mbps to 10 Mbps.  Once again, if such a frame takes up a single NAL
unit, then the loss of *any* network packet will render it unusable.