[Live-devel] RTCPInstance questions

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Mar 24 18:24:03 PDT 2009

>1. Should we be sending RTCP messages when the connection is in a
>paused state.  My initial thoughts were no, but then I thought that
>without the RTCPInstance running and sending messages, how would a
>server know the client has not gone away.

Yes, RTCP continues, as usual, even when a RTSP session is 'paused'.

>2.  I have debug turned on and I see RTCP messages being received
>from myself.  Ie: saw incoming RTCP packet (from address
>10.221.224.6, port 7999).  The client is running on 10.221.224.6,
>and the server is on a separate box.  It looks to me like the client
>is receiving its own messages, but is not chomping them like I would
>expect.   I think the call to see if the packets was from ourselves
>(RTCVP.cpp line 336) is failing for some reason.  I have no other
>live555 processes running on the same box, and so would expect the
>packet to be ignored.

I presume this is a multicast session (if it were a unicast session,
then the RTCP packets should be sent back directly to the server, and
the client would never get a chance to receive them itself).  I
didn't see a question in the paragraph above - but Remember, You Have
Complete Source Code.

>3.  Occasionally, I will see the sudden the RTCPInstance schedule
>function get called in a tight loop.

This seems very unlikely, but if you discover a specific problam,
please let us know.