[Live-devel] Long buffering latency with testMPEG4VideoStreamer on quicktime player

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 26 21:32:09 PDT 2009

>Hi there, I ran some initial tests with testMPEG4VideoStreamer on FC10,
>using Quicktime player 7.6 on WinXP.
>
>This is going OK so far but I ran into a couple of initial problems to sort
>out.
>
>First, after starting RTSP/SDP PLAY, quicktime player buffers for a LONG
>time
>before playing.  It looks like it actually waits until the clip file
>cycles to the start before it actually kicks in.  for example, if you have a
>30
>second clip, the average wait would be something like 15 seconds before
>the clip plays in quicktime.  it seems the longer the clip, the longer the
>average wait.
>
>This happens using any test clip file "para.m4e", "petrov.m4e" or "wwe.m4e"

Sorry, but I couldn't reproduce this problem with QuickTime Player
(version 7.6 (472)) on Mac OS, nor with VLC.  Perhaps it's a problem
specific to Windows??  I suggest that you try using VLC instead of
QuickTime Player, to see if that works better for you.

>A secondary and not so urgent issue;  I'm testing on a multihomed server and
>attempting to restrict multicast output to a specific subnet.

That's something that you have to do in your OS (usually by changing
routing tables).  It has nothing to do with our software (which, of
course, runs above the OS).