[Live-devel] Queries related to Streaming MP3 clips using LIVE server.

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 11 17:43:19 PST 2009

>I have some doubts regarding the RTP Payload for MP3.
>
>1) When I received the payload it's something like this
>     00 00 00 00 ff e3 e8 .....
>     The valid data starts only after 4 bytes in all the cases. Why is that so?

Because these first 4 bytes are the "MPEG Audio-specific header"
defined for the RTP payload format for MPEG-1 or 2 Elementary Stream
audio (which includes MP3), defined in RFC 2250 (see section 3.5).

If you transmit your data using the "MPEG1or2AudioRTPSink" class, and
receive it using the "MPEG1or2AudioRTPSource" class, then the
inserting and removing of this header is done automatically, and you
don't have to know or care about it.

See the code for the "testMP3Streamer" and "testMP3Receiver" for
examples of how this is done (over multicast, in this case).