[Live-devel] Doubts reagrding the SDP informations sent for MP3

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 13 14:51:18 PST 2009

>May I know why the LiveMediaServer is not sending rtpmap information?
>
>With the Helix server, I tried streaming a Mp3 clip using VLC player.
>
>The SDP Information sent by the Helix Server is as follows,
>
>a=rtpmap:101 X-MP3-draft-00/44100/2
>
>In our Application, If this information is coming through SDP then
>major overhead can be avoided.
>
>This information comes even for 3gp clips why not for mp3??
>
>Kindly through some light on this.

The "a=rtpmap:" line is needed only for dynamic payload type numbers
(e.g., 101 in this case), for which a RTP payload format is not
already defined.  For MPEG-1 or 2 audio (including 'mp3'), however, a
static payload type of 14 is already defined for this RTP payload
format (see Table 4 in RFC 3551), and we use that instead (note the
line "m=audio 0 RTP/AVP 14").  Because of this, a "a=rtpmap:" line is
not needed.

Note that receivers that use our code do not need to concern
themselves with this, because we handle the SDP description
automatically.

(Note also that the "X-MP3-draft-00" in the Helix server's SDP line
tells us that it using an experimental RTP payload format; not an
IETF standard one.  Standard receivers therefore cannot be expected
to receive that stream.)