[Live-devel] question about streaming h264 video and binary data

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 25 16:19:30 PST 2009

>Now I would like to stream some custom data with the video stream, thus
>I wrote a subclass of DeviceSource that feeds the custom data to a
>subclass of OnDemandServerMediaSubsession .
>
>When I try to play the stream with a "normal" player such as mplayer or
>vlc I expect them to drop the auxiliary binary data and to display the
>h264-encoded video. But it does not work, it seams packets are not
>correctly received (dropped?).

If you want to stream 'custom data' that isn't in the form of H.264
NAL units, then you can't include this data in the H.264 RTP packets
(because any receiver of these packets will expect the data to be
formatted according to the standard RTP payload format for H.264
video).  Instead, you must use a separate RTP payload format number,
and a separate port number, and a separate "m=" line in the SDP
description.

In any case, I'm going to give support only for standard RTP payload formats.