[Live-devel] GET_PARAMETERS used as a ping request and VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 27 02:29:07 PST 2009

>Glen Gray wrote:
>>On 26/11/09 00:28, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>>>Yes, by modifying the code in "RTSPServer.cpp" :-)
>>>
>>>Until we fix the problem (at least at the server end), that's the
>>>only way I can see to overcome this issue - unless VLC is fixed to
>>>not use "GET_PARAMETER" as a client liveness indicator.  It
>>>doesn't really need to do this, because RTCP already acts as a
>>>(much better) client liveness indicator.  But perhaps the VLC
>>>developers did this in order to support some other (broken) server
>>>implementation that didn't recognize RTCP "RR" packets from the
>>>clients??
>>
>>Yes, the K word would follow here. However, if I recall correctly,
>>it only ever sends the GET_PARAMETER messages as a keep alive if
>>the server reports back a timeout value as part of the setup.
>>
>That's good news. Eventually, how could one choose not to send the
>timeout value? RTSPServer.cpp modify or there's a better solution?

Glen was talking about a 'Kasenna' server, I think.  Our RTSP server
implementation *does not* specify a "timeout =" parameter at all.

Anyway, I've now installed a new version (2009.11.27) of the code
that hacks the RTSP server's "OPTIONS" response to *not* include
"GET_PARAMETER" in the list of available commands.  This will stop
VLC from using "GET_PARAMETER" as a client 'liveness' indicator,
which we don't need, because we already use the client's RTCP "RR"
packets as a 'liveness' indicator.

(This hack will be removed when we fix the problem with RTP-over-TCP
(RSN, I hope).)