[Live-devel] trickplay features on a RTSP video streamer

bourda guillaume bourdag at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 01:07:27 PDT 2009

Dear Ross,

I have two questiond here that I believe are related.

First of all, I have a RTSP streaming server (developped with liveMedia)
and I would like to stream H264 and M4V-ES files, streaming Key Frames
(=Intra frames) only.
I have managed to do so with M4V-ES, streaming only I frames, and my VLC
client is rendering the video OK. However when I am trying to do so with
H264, either streaming IDR Nalu only or IDR/SPS/PPS Nalu only, it doesn't
work at all and my VLC client cannot render anything.

Secondly, I would like to implement "trickplay" features on my RTSP video
streaming server, such as pause, fast-forward and rewind.
I am pretty confident I can manage the pause and fast forward options but I
am not sure about how to do it with rewind.
Can I implement a rewind feature on my RTSP server while streaming a large
video files (H264 & M4V) ? Will I have to stream key frames only or is it
possible to change frames order and presentation times in order to have
complete video sequences ?

I hope my questions are clear enough. If anyone have already implemented
trickplay features, on a live555 based video streaming system, I'll be very
interested to get some hints!

Thanks in advance
--guillaume

pause, instant replay, rewind

o stream video files in a reverse mode : I mean starting to stream from the
end of the file to the begining