[Live-devel] H264 trick Play - Scale

bourda guillaume bourdag at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:44:17 PDT 2009

Dear Ross,

I have developed a RTSP streaming server that supports H264 and M4V-ES and I
am now trying to implement Trick Play functionalities.

In order to support fast forward and reverse play, I have understood that I
need to work with "scale".
For a scale = 2.0, I have understood that I need to send only 1 frame every
second frames.

--> While streaming an H264 file with scale=2.0, I have tried to stream key
frames (IDR Nalu) and discard every second frame (SLICE Nalu) : this doesn't
work at all since every SLICE seems to need the previous SLICE along with
the key frame to be decoded.

Thus my question : while fast forwarding an H264 file should I only stream
key frames ?

Thanks in advance for your response!
guillaume