[Live-devel] H264 RTSP with VLC or openRTSP

Tao Wu lanlantao at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 09:40:49 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have made a H264 media server and the input is encoded frames directed
coming from the hardware encoder, not from a file.
I can successfully receive the H264 stream from openRTSP command tool and
store the received stream into a file.
The VLC player also can play the stored the file smoothly.

But if I use the VLC directly play the RTSP stream from the server,
everything is fine at the beginning, but the VLC play will stop showing
video after 2 / 3 minutes.
I do not understand what is the reason for it.
Perhaps the H264 I frames are too large (30K bytes) for VLC to handle
directly? When playing the files, the VLC uses a larger buffer than
RTSP streaming?
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,