[Live-devel] Reliable UDP -- does it make sense?

Sharda Murthi sharda.murthi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 10:22:01 PDT 2009

Hi All,

We are trying to implement a retransmission mechanism for the live555 server
over UDP, as part of our research work for a professor.

Well, we hit our first road block thinking why would someone want to do it
at all? We do understand that UDP doesnt provide for reliable transmission.
And that's the purpose! If retransmission is provided, then the overhead
increases, which UDP cant afford.
So, why not just use the existing TCP mechanism, given that the developers
of live555 have already done it?

Can someone point out as to why one would want to be doing this at all?
Probably we're not seeing the subtler side of the idea. We're just too
confused about this whole thing.
And if someone has done this before, could you please guide us as to where
we can start from?

Thank you!