[Live-devel] Streaming from a device

Alastair Bain Alastair.Bain at Cubic.com
Wed Sep 9 20:44:58 PDT 2009

I'm trying to use mediaServer to stream from a encoder card, but not
sure how handle synchronization between the device source and the
live555 event loop. The device I'm using presents transport stream
packets in its own thread. I've created a subclass of DeviceSource, but
I don't believe I can just call the deliverFrame() function from a
non-event loop thread?

Currently I'm just placing the frames into a temporary buffer, and then
using the live555 event loop to pull frames from this buffer. The
problem with this approach is that I can't seem to get the timing right,
so end up having to use a large buffer which adds unacceptable delay.

Any ideas for how to solve this issue?

Regards,
Alastair Bain