[Live-devel] H264 multicast streaming question

Jeremy Noring kidjan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 16:14:34 PDT 2009

2009/9/10 <spopo316 at yahoo.com.tw>

> But when I streamed the H.264 file by unicsat method successfully , the
> sprop-parameter-sets has been set “h264”. Therefore i think the
> sprop-parameter-sets=h264 does't influence the stream when using multicast
> method. Is it right?

No, that's not right.  For the decoder to understand your H.264 stream, it
is crucial that the SPS/PPS info is communicated over a reliable protocol.
If you are not sending in in the sprop-parameter-sets argument, how are you
conveying it?  Note that sending it in the actual stream is not recommended
(see section 8.4 of RFC3984).  Some people mistakenly think their
Live555/H264 implementation "works," but really they're just conveying
SPS/PPS info through the lossy RTP channel, which is strongly discouraged by
the RFC:

The picture and sequence parameter set NALUs SHOULD NOT be
   transmitted in the RTP payload unless reliable transport is provided
   for RTP, as a loss of a parameter set of either type will likely
   prevent decoding of a considerable portion of the corresponding RTP
   stream.  Thus, the transmission of parameter sets using a reliable
   session control protocol (i.e., usage of principle A or B above) is
   RECOMMENDED.

Botton line: correctly populate sprop-parameter-sets; you are wasting your
time by not doing this.