[Live-devel] Set a limit for RTSP Client connections.

Cristiano Belloni belloni at imavis.com
Wed Sep 16 09:11:40 PDT 2009

Hello Ross and everyone else,

I'm using live555 RTSP server (unicast) in a system with limited memory
and CPU resources.

When too many clients connect to the server, the CPU can't cope with the
load, and I start losing frames or get read errors from the pipe I read
the frames from (it's a realtime application, and I think the kernel
starts to be unstable when the system CPU time is very high).

So, I'd like to set a static limit to the number of users who can get
the live stream at the same time. Is there a way?

If there isn't, couldn't I just create a derived class of the RTPsinks
I'm using, increase a shared counter everytime their CreateNew() method
is called and decrease it in the destructor of the sink?

Then, if the counter is over the limit, I can refuse to create a new
sink in the createNewRTPSink method of my MediaSubsession (aka return a
NULL pointer).

Would it work?

Additionally, the increase and decrease counter operations wouldn't have
to be mutually exclusive because the library works in a non-threaded
fashion, is it right?

Thanks in advance,
Cristiano.

--