[Live-devel] IncreaseSendBufferTo / RTSP_PARAM_STRING_MAX / dynamic rtp payload types

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Sep 17 23:09:28 PDT 2009

>However, I was curious as to what is the difference between
>increaseSendBufferTo and setSendBufferSize?

Remember, You Have Complete Source Code.

>On a separate point. can we set the RTSP_PARAM_STRING_MAX to
>something larger than 100?

Sure, if you wish.

>    is there any reason it cannot be PATH_MAX

Well, PATH_MAX means something different (I think)

>(which is OS indepenedent - tho I am not sure if this is defined on
>all systems).  I use a larger size to allow more url parameters on
>the streams on my server.

OK, would 200 be large enough for you?  (I generally don't like using
a power-of-two (like 256) for these constants if there's not a real
reason for it to be a power-of-two.)  If so, I can change it in the
next released version of the code.

>Another thing I have noticed is that there are certain non
>conforming devices that can change their RTP payload midstream.  To
>handle this on my client end I added the abilility to ignore the rtp
>payload type being dynamic.  I did this by not checking the payload
>type if the expected type was set to zero:

Unfortunately, RTP payload code 0 is a legal code - for u-law PCM audio.

The ability fo properly handle (and demultiplex, as appropriate)
multiple RTP payload codes in a single stream is a feature that will
be added sometime in the future.