[Live-devel] TS over UDP (or RTP)

Pannaman, Jonathan Jonathan.Pannaman at espn.com
Wed Sep 30 15:30:15 PDT 2009

I am interested in using live for an application which receives TS data from an encoder in blocks approximately 16K bytes via a Directshow filter graph.

I have successfully built a filter which receives the data and sends it via UDP over the network but very simply breaks the data into blocks of 7 TS packets and sends them in UDP packets over the network. This works fine for a number of devices but others cannot seem to keep the buffer properly primed or synced.

If I send them to localhost and use VLC to receive them and then send them (stream) them all devices are content and all works properly. I am using RTP and then UDP over RTP for this.

I would like to use the live library to integrate the reliable sending function into my DS filter but can't work out the right way to do this. Can anyone give me an example or direction on the right way to do this. The main thing I struggle with if how to determine the timing of sending the data., Do I need to look at PTS and DTS timestamps? Or can I do something simpler?

Thoughts?

JonP