[Live-devel] how to use ffmpeg to decode PCM streaming and encode it to AAC stream?

wei su suwei19870312 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 03:33:58 PDT 2010

Hi Ross.
I recently use live555 to relay PCMU rtp streaming from a media server to a
rtsp client.
and pcmu streaming works well on VLC streaming player.
but now we need to relay the PCMU streaming to cellphone, and lots of
cellphone streaming player don't support PCMU codec.
so we have to transcode  the PCMU streaming to AAC streaming. and send the
AAC streaming to RTSP client.
I search on the internet and find out that ffmpeg can transcode PCM to AAC.
but I don't know how to use ffmpeg
to do it. so if there are some demo  about this can help me.

the framework of my codes as below:
1. use SimpleRTPSource to get the PCM streaming.
2. if I need to use ffmpeg to  create a new subclass of FramedFiliter to
transcode the streaming, and how to use ffmpeg?
3. use AC3audioRTPSink to relay.