[Live-devel] Sending RTP packets in advance

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Aug 18 17:08:44 PDT 2010

>In a streaming session, we want to send a part of the streamed video
>in advance to the client. Is there a RTP packet scheduler in the
>Live555 media server that can be modified to do this?
>Or maybe, it could be possible to send during a certain period the
>video at a higher rate than the video frame rate. In which class
>should  this be applied?

Probably the best place to do this would be in the 'framer' object
that feeds into your "RTPSink" (subclass) object.  Specifically, you
would calculate "fPresentationTime" exactly the same way as for
normal streaming (because the presentation time represents the
playback time for the receiving client).  However, you could change
the calculation of "fDurationInMicroseconds" to alter the rate at
which frames (and thus network packets) are sent.

You should not need to change any other parts of the code.