[Live-devel] displaying RTSP stream directly

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Aug 20 18:03:49 PDT 2010

>  - grab an  MP4V-ES/90000 stream from a FLIR Infrared Camera (the
>camera works, grabbing RTSP from it using VLC has no problems)

[...]

>  - Pretty much the same program, modeled after openRTSP, in
>ObjectiveC/Cocoa/C++ using live555 (thus I ask here) which produces
>the same data-stream.
>
>This data is unfortunately *not* decodable by VLC

VLC can't always correctly identify an arbitrary data file, which
(partly) explains why it often can correctly display a stream from a
"rtsp://" URL, but cannot play it from a data file (e.g., one that's
recorded by "openRTSP").  In any case, this is not a VLC mailing
list; problems with VLC should be reported on some other mailing list.

However, in this case, it's possible that the MPEG-4 stream contains
extra 'config' information (present in the stream's SDP description)
that would need to be decoded and then prepended to the data stream
that is passed to the your decoder.  You can check this by looking
for a "config=" string in the stream's SDP description (as reported
by "openRTSP").