[Live-devel] gettimeofday windows implementation

Pushkar Pradhan pushkar at ipvideosys.com
Sat Aug 21 12:23:14 PDT 2010

________________________________

From: live-devel-bounces at ns.live555.com on behalf of Ross Finlayson
Sent: Fri 8/20/2010 6:10 PM
To: LIVE555 Streaming Media - development & use
Subject: Re: [Live-devel] gettimeofday windows implementation

	I would like to modify the gettimeofday implementation (provided for Windoze) in groupsockhelper.cpp to make it thread safe for my use.

I hope you have read the FAQ entry about threads.
Yes, that's why I only want to do it for my own version :-)

	I noticed the comments for the routine that QueryPerformanceCounter is more accurate that's why you use it. My question is if I use ftime in each call what kind of side effects will it cause if any?

It will likely cause your application to perform badly, because timed events will happen at too coarse a granularity.
Ok, that answers my concern.

I don't recommend changing the current implementation.  If you really want to make it accessible by multiple threads (for whatever reason), then I suggest placing locks around the implementation, or else writing a new version (with a different name) that could you use just from your non-LIVE555 threads.

pushkar