[Live-devel] New LIVE555 version available - improves support for streaming H.264 Video

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Dec 5 13:03:49 PST 2010

A new version (2010.12.05) of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software
has now been installed that significantly improves support for
streaming H.264 video.  (This had been a weak point of the software
for some time.)

In particular, "H264VideoStreamFramer" and
"H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" (a new class) act like their
corresponding MPEG4 versions: "H264VideoStreamFramer" reads a H.264
Video Elementary Stream byte stream (e.g., from a file), and
"H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer" reads discrete H.264 video NAL units
(i.e., one-at-a-time), e.g., from a H.264 video encoder

NOTE: Developers no longer need to write their own subclasses of
"H264VideoStreamFramer" (or "H264VideoStreamDiscreteFramer").

We also added a new demo application - "testH264VideoStreamer" - for
streaming from a H.264 Elementary Stream Video file (named
"test.264") via multicast.

"testOnDemandRTSPServer" and "live555MediaServer" were also updated
to stream H.264 Video Elementary Stream files.

(Some examples of H.264 Video Elementary Stream files - that can now
be streamed by our software - are available online at
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/264/ )