[Live-devel] MPEG-4 Visual configuration bits in SDP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Dec 9 20:07:28 PST 2010

>Just came across that it would be useful to have an easy-to-use
>decoder for MPEG-4 Visual configuration bits that are encoded in
>"config" parameter of SDP. Something like mpeg4vol command-line tool
>from mpeg4ip does. Are there any plans to implement this in the
>future?

The 'config' parameter string is simply a string of bytes, encoded as
hexadecimal digits (therefore, two hexadecimal digits per byte).  We
do have a function:
	parseGeneralConfigStr()
(defined in "liveMedia/include/MPEG4LATMAudioRTPSource.hh) that will
convert a 'config' string to binary.  E.g., the 'config' string
	deadbeef
would be converted to the following sequence of 4 bytes
	0xDE 0xAD 0xBE 0xEF

However, we don't implement any additional 'decoding' of this data
(or any other MPEG-4 data), because it's not needed at all for
streaming.  (We don't include any audio/video decoding or encoding
software.)