[Live-devel] Problem streaming continuous H.264 video over Transport Stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Dec 14 00:07:49 PST 2010

>I'm using Live555 to send H.264 ES video over Transport Stream using
>MPEG2TransportStreamFromESSource but the video stream blocks for >20
>minutes in every hour or so.
>The goal is to deliver a live video stream using an H.264 video
>encoder as the source, initial tests showed that Transport Stream
>offered the most fluid stream.
>This problem doesn't happen when sending raw H.264 ES using
>H264VideoRTPSink directly.

IMHO, if you're able to send H.264 video directly over RTP (i.e.,
without encapsulating it in a Transport Stream first), then you
should continue to do this, because there will be less network
overhead - and better resliency to packet loss - by doing this,
compared to streaming Transport Streams.  I don't know what you mean
by Transport Streams being 'more fluid', but that should not be the
case, especially if the presentation times on your H.264 NAL units
(delivered by your encoder) are correct.

If, however, you insist on transmitting Transport Stream data (rather
than raw H.264) over RTP, then I suggest that you first create a
Transport Stream *file*, and then trying to stream that (e.g., using
our existing, unmodified "testOnDemandRTSPServer" or
"live555MediaServer" applications).  That might give you some idea
about what's going wrong.