[Live-devel] MPEG-4 Visual configuration bits in SDP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Dec 14 14:59:26 PST 2010

>I would disagree that decoding SDP config bits is not needed for
>streaming at all.
>
>For example, Axis 240S and 240Q video servers *do not* provide
>"x-dimensions" parameter in their SDP (or other similar parameters
>like "cliprect" or "framesize"). Thus, LIVE555 is not aware about
>video resolution when recording RTSP from these video servers. The
>width and height values must be supplied manually, which is not
>feasible in some cases. E.g. when recording MPEG-4 stream to AVI
>file, the wrong width and height values in AVI header might result
>in unplayable file.
>
>From another hand, Axis 240S and 240Q video servers provide the
>required video resolution info in bits "video_object_layer_width"
>and "video_object_layer_height" from config parameter. Thus, config
>bits parsing/decoding would be a useful feature in LIVE555. The
>decoding algorythm is pretty simple and can be found in ISO/IEC
>14496 Part 2 documentation in "Visual bitstream syntax" chapter.

Yes, for that specific purpose - extracting width and height
information - I can see how it could be useful to have code that
analyzes the MPEG-4 Video config data.  (In turns out that - for
transmitting MPEG-4 Elementary Stream files - we already do a bit of
parsing of the "VOL header" structure in "MPEG4VideoStreamFramer", in
order to extract the "vop_time_increment_resolution".)