[Live-devel] Help required in using sendfile api in live555

Suhas Hegde suhashgd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 06:42:29 PST 2010

Hi,

I was going through the optimizations possible in media servers and found
out the sendfile() api in linux very interesting.
I want to try out this on the live555 media server application.

I found out from the code that live555 uses read and write system calls to
transfer data from the disk to the network. Also there is processing of data
after it is read from the disk.

I wanted to know whether it is possible to implement sendfile() in the media
server or is it that the idea is totally crazy and cannot be done.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this will be very helpful. Also
pointers to any other open source servers that have already implemented this
would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Suhas