[Live-devel] Reminder: Please use professional email addresses on this mailing list

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Feb 18 09:21:15 PST 2010

A reminder, once again, that if you want to be taken seriously on
this mailing list, you should use a professional email address -
i.e., one with a domain name that represents an organization (company
or school), or at least a custom domain name.  If, instead, you use a
casual 'hobbyist' email address - e.g., "@yahoo", "@gmail",
"@hotmail", "@aol" - I'm going to assume (absent strong evidence to
the contrary) that you're just an inexperienced newbie, working out
of your parents' basement.  Posts from such email addresses will
*always* be moderated and delayed (sometimes for several days), and I
will usually not bother responding to them.  (In contrast, people who
use professional email addresses will often have only their first
post to the mailing list moderated, and I am much more likely to
answer their questions.)

I'm serious about this.  This software is intended for experienced
developers of system software - not beginning, casual programmers.
If you don't have the sophistication to use a professional email
address, then this software is probably not for you.  Recently, I
have been seeing many posts from people who are clearly way out of
their depth - and almost all of these have been from "@gmail" etc.
email addresses.  I don't want to have to ban such email addresses
from posting to the mailing list, but I have no choice but to treat
them less seriously.