[Live-devel] Problem with NTP timestamps in SR packets with Flir A320 camera source

Matt Schuckmannn matt at schuckmannacres.com
Fri Jan 8 16:45:26 PST 2010

Ok it's been a long day, I now get it.

For anybody else using this camera here is what is happening.

The NTP seconds and microseconds values are not reversed they are fine
and if I'd have looked at more than one SR packet in sequence I'd have
seen that from the beginning.
The problem is the camera is using the time since the camera was last
rebooted for the NTP time values in the SR reports (which in my case was
about 30 hours and now is about 10 min). I believe it is using this
because the camera is on a closed network with no SNTP time server to
correct it. This is kind of sad because the camera does have it's own
clock that stays correct between power cycles that would be much better
to use in the absence of a SNTP time server.

I don't know if this points to a bug in the SR handling code in
LiveMedia.  In RTPReceptionStats::noteIncomingSR() 0x83AA7E80 is always
subtracted from theNTP seconds value and this caused the reported
presentation time value to wrap around and report something way out in
the future (around 2038).

I really don't know if there is anything better that you could do here,
probably not.

Thanks for listening,
Matt S.