[Live-devel] Streaming RTSP over TCP doesn't work

alpharoot alpharoot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 23:21:48 PST 2010

On 1/13/10, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:
> > Now the question is why the RTSP server always tries to output
> > multicast stream. Looking at the code in
> > PassiveServerMediaSubsession.getStreamParameters(), the
> stream type is
> > hardcoded as multicast by the line "isMulticast = True;". Is it
> > intended or it's a bug?
> >

> Yes, the "PassiveServerMediaSubsession" class is intended for multicast
> streams.  (I suppose it *could*, in principle, be subclassed for use with a
> 'passive' unicast stream, but such a stream could be received by only one
> client - defined in advance - so a RTSP server for such a stream wouldn't be
> very useful.)
OK. More investigations on the program indicated that the video data
is still streamed over UDP although "-t" option is specified when
running openRTSP.  I believe big changes need to be made to support
TCP and it still has one-client limitations as you mentioned.

> To stream via unicast, you should use a subclass of
> "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" - either an existing
> subclass (see, for example, one of those that are used by
> "testOnDemandRTSPServer"), or one that you would define yourself.

Thanks for pointing it out. I did quick test on
testOnDemandRTSPServer. The test program openRTSP can recieve data
with RTP-over-TCP, but VLC player failed. Looks like VLC player
connected to the server successfully but doesn't play the video. I'll
look into this issue but is this a known issue?

--
Bill