[Live-devel] Blocking socket

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Jan 16 21:39:17 PST 2010

>Looking at the original patch, it's pretty clear that the author
>forgot to set the socket back to be blocking.  But considering that
>this issue has been present for well over a year, I have to wonder
>whether or not the RTSPClient even needs to be run on a blocking
>socket. (Ross, you know the most about this, so I'd be interested to
>hear your take on things).

I'm not planning on doing much with the existing "RTSPClient" code,
because this code will soon be significantly overhauled so that it
does I/O asynchronously, using the event loop, rather than the
current blocking-with-timeout model (which doesn't fit with the
event-driven model of the rest of the library's code).  This change
will also eliminate the need for a "timeout" parameter (although the
existing API will probably kept - as an option - for a while, for
backwards compatibility).

Fixing "RTSPClient" is high priority (second only to fixing the
problems with RTP-over-TCP).