[Live-devel] dump h264 video problem

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Fri Jul 30 09:15:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure.  But the basic problem here is that the ".mov" (or ".mp4")
> file format was very badly designed, and is especially ill-suited for what
> we are trying to do: Record incoming media streams into a file.  The
> "QuickTimeFileSink" class tries to do this as well as it can, but the basic
> flaws of the file format makes it difficult.  Nonethess, it's possible that
> the "QuickTimeFileSink" implementation can be improved, so feel free to take
> a look at it, and let us know if you have any suggestions for
> improvements/bug fixes.

Doubtful.  I've worked with the mp4 file format for a few years now and it's
just fine.  The more likely problem is QuickTimeFileSink is a limited and
basic mov/mp4 implementation, and Live555 is a streaming library, not a
container library.  If the OP wants nice files, they should use a library
intended for writing mp4 files, like mp4v2.