[Live-devel] liveMedia and CMake

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 16 15:11:58 PDT 2010

>Are there any ideological objections against CMake?

No.

The only problem I have with using "CMake" (or something like it) is
that it would impose a small burden (i.e., having to download and
install a new utility) on most developers who use this software
(those who develop for Unix/Posix/Linux/MacOS systems), merely
because Microsoft apparently decided - a few years ago - to make it
difficult for Windows developers to use "Makefiles", despite the fact
that "Makefiles" have been the standard software configuration
mechanism for 30 years now.

But here's what I'll do: I'll poll this mailing list to get a feel
what people prefer, and I'll use the results of the poll (in about a
week) to help make a decision.

So, if you're a developer who uses the "LIVE555 Streaming Media"
software, please send email to
	support at live555.com
(*not* to this mailing list), with the following Subject: line
	CMake poll: <N>
Where <N> is one of the following:
	-1	I'm happy with the existing "genMakefiles" mechanism,
and don't want to change.
	0	I develop only for Unix/Posix/Linux/MacOS systems,
but would not mind switching to using "CMake" instead of the
"genMakefiles" script.
	1	I develop for Windows (or something else other than
Unix/Posix/Linux/MacOS), and would prefer to start using "CMake".
	2	I would prefer to switch to using something else, but
not "CMake".  (If so, please say - in the body of your email - what
you would prefer to use.)

The body of your email can be empty (unless you choose option 2).

Note: I will count responses only if
	- The response is sent to "support at live555.com", *not* to
this mailing list, and
	- The email's "From:" address is that of a subscriber to the
mailing list, and
	- This email address is a professional email address (i.e.,
not "@hotmail", "@aol", "@gmail", "@yahoo", etc.)

Any other responses *will* be ignored.