[Live-devel] How to contribute code?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 22 14:20:33 PDT 2010

>  > I suspect that the real reason why some people want to use a revision
>>  control system is that they want to easily update to the latest
>>  version of the code after they've made custom modifications to it
>>  (i.e., without losing their modifications).
>
>Yes :-), at least in my case.
>You are releasing new versions often. You also don't support anything but the
>newest. So I have to be in sync with you. I also don't want to lose my
>modifications which I'll contribute back when they are ready.

If any of your "modifications" are bug fixes, then please share them
with us ASAP.

However, if they're really just custom modifications for your
environment (and are not of general applicability), then you should
try to find a way to move them into your own code, rather than
modifying the installed code.  (As I noted earlier, if there are
modifications that we can make (e.g., "private:" -> "protected:")
that can make that easier, let us know.)