[Live-devel] VLC can't decode MJPEG stream

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jun 24 06:25:14 PDT 2010

>I set MAX_BUFFER_SIZE (256 * 1024) and OutPacketBuffer::maxSize =
>MAX_BUFFER_SIZE.
>But anyway I see that image sends in two parts. Resolution of image
>640x480 and size 8544 bytes if I save it before rtsp-stream.
>But openRTSP captures files with 8.0K sizes.
>Why?

When JPEG images are streamed via RTP, they're not sent 'as is'.
Instead, the JPEG header is stripped from the image, and sent - at
the front of the RTP packet - in 'compressed' form.  (This is defined
by RFC 2435.)

Remember, You Have Complete Source Code.  To understand what your
receiving application is doing, you should look at
"JPEGVideoRTPSource.cpp", which implements the receiving of JPEG data
over RTP.

(Also, because your server appears to be implemented using our
software, it is likely using "JPEGVideoRTPSink.cpp", which implements
the sending of JPEG data over RTP.