[Live-devel] How to contribute code?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 29 13:07:17 PDT 2010

When I say that I don't support old versions of the code, that also
means that I don't provide any *links* to old versions of the code.
So, while anyone is, of course, free to keep around any old versions
of the code that they wish, I won't be providing or publicizing (on
the "live555.com" web site or elsewhere) any links to these.

The reason is quite simple: When a new version of the code is
released, it's usually to fix bugs.  I can't, with a clear
conscience, endorse a copy of the code that I know is buggy.

However, there was recently a rare exception to this - a new version
that did not fix bugs, but instead was a major reimplementation of
existing functionality (the "RTSPClient" class).  Although this was
intended to improve the code, it also introduced some new bugs (most
of which now appear to have been fixed, although there remain some
unverified reports of problems with RTP-over-TCP).

I gave serious thought to making an exception for that particular
version, and releasing it as a separate, 'experimental' release,
separate from the usual 'latest' release ("live555-latest.tar.gz").
In hindsight, perhaps I should have done that.  It would have allowed
people to avoid encountering bugs in the new "RTSPClient"
implementation, but it also would have meant that these bugs would
not have been found as quickly (because few people would have ended
up trying the 'experimental' release).  (Note that the new
"RTSPClient" implementation has so far also exposed a bug in at least
one other server (camera) implementation, as well as a bug in our own
"openRTSP" application code - neither of which would not have been
found nearly as quickly (if at all) had we not made people endure the
temporary pain of dealing with this new implementation.)