[Live-devel] Stream to LAN: maximize Quality, minimize Latency

henniman live555 at mxwendler.net
Wed Mar 3 05:13:05 PST 2010

Hi all,

i recently interated live into my application
as was amazed how simple and robust it is.
now i want to stream live-generated images over a LAN
with maximal quality and minimal latency.
I have a RGBA image source, and i have an ffmpeg
encoder to compress the video so far.

Right now i can stream mpeg-2 with ffmpeg settings

float video_qscale = 1.0;
vcodec->gop_size = 0;
vcodec->flags |= CODEC_FLAG_QSCALE;
v_codec->global_quality = _video_st->quality = FF_QP2LAMBDA * video_qscale;

this should create only intraframes. As a receiver i use VLC 1.05 with
reduced cache ( 200 ms )
My results are: very good image quality but non-fluent playback.
Every 1-2 seconds, there is a stutter/hang of 3-6 frames even
when streaming from app to app at the same machine. Increasing VLC
cache time does not change behaviour. Is it possible that there are
non-continous timestamps somewhere?

What would be the best strategy to create the best possible videostream?
Network bandwidth is not so much an issue - a gigabit connection is
available.

1) what is the best codec ( quality, encoding speed )
2) best codec options ( only i-frames )
3) best receiver - can i get advantages over eg. VLC if i re-implement the
receiver on my own?

Best regards, hendrik
--
---