[Live-devel] Unicast and Multicast H264

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Mar 13 00:38:21 PST 2010

>I have one question about the difference of streaming Multicast and
>Unicast. When I connect to a multicast server I receive in my
>function "AfterReadingFrame" all the packets SPS, PPS and Slices and
>then I parse all and save to decode when I need.
>I tried a Unicast server and then I need to work with
>"fmtp_spropparametersets" to extract the SPS and PPS buffer to parse
>because in my "AfterReadingFrame" I only receive Slice packets, no
>SPS or PPS. If I save this packets with the Slice i can decode after
>all.

You can't assume that this will always be the case.  I.e., you can't
always assume that only multicast streams will have the SPS and PPS
NAL units 'in band''.

Therefore your client should *always* extract this information from
the SDP description, and feed it to the decoder in front of any
network packet data.  It doesn't matter whether the stream is unicast
or multicast.