[Live-devel] Windows Media Player?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 25 09:52:06 PDT 2010

Following up on my earlier message:

Yes, Microsoft is a large and influential company - but so is ESPN.
If enough large companies - like yours - lean on Microsoft asking
them to comply with the RTSP protocol standard, then perhaps they'll
fix their Media Player software in one of their frequent software
updates.  But simply expecting us to (somehow) modify our server
software to work with Windows Media Player's non-standard (and
undocumented) variant of RTSP is counterproductive.  Instead, you
should encourage your clients to use standards-compliant media
players like VLC (or perhaps QuickTime Player - although I don't
think that plays Transport Stream data).  Alternatively, you could
make your own branded media player client (perhaps based on VLC), and
distribute that to your clients to use instead of Windows Media
Player.