[Live-devel] Windows Media Player?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Mar 29 14:54:40 PDT 2010

>Unfortunately, as you note, I don't work for an open source
>community project where I can stand on my ideals and thumb my nose
>at those who can't.  I work in the real world of broken standards
>and large corporations using those fissures to vie for intellectual
>property rights while still trying to make my own very
>time-sensitive software projects work appropriately in the real
>world.  This project, regardless of my spite, ire, anger, ideals, or
>bloviated bluster - contains Windows Media Player as a base
>requirement - and no amount of pushback ill change that...
>(oh, trust me .. I've tried..)

Yes, I understand this.  That's why I noted that ESPN - being a large
and influentual company - is in a position to possibly persuade
Microsoft to fix Windows Media Player to make it handle your
(standards compliant) streams.  I wish more companies would try this
approach, rather than assuming that their only option is to try to
modify their servers to work with Windows Media Player (something
that might not even be possible, because Windows Media Player is a
closed-source application whose inner workings are a mystery).