[Live-devel] Crash in RTSPServer.cpp

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Fri May 7 09:28:39 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>wrote:

> It would be nice to find a simple, repeatable sequence of client operations
> that cause the crash.  E.g., does crash ever happen if there are two
> complete "DESCRIBE, SETUP, SETUP, PLAY, TEARDOWN" sequences in order (i.e.,
> not overlapping), or does it occur only when two such sequences overlap?
>  Once you've found a repeatable situation that causes the crash, then you
> could also test with RTP-over-UDP, and with "reuseFirstSource" set to False.

Okay, I did more testing.  Definitely the issue is overlapping DESCRIBE,
SETUP, SETUP, PLAY, TEARDOWN sequences.  And for me, the problem was
exacerbated by the fact that my client would connect to the server _twice_
(once to fetch media types, then a TEARDOWN, and again to start pulling
media).  I changed it so my code connects a single time and I can no longer
reproduce the crash.

So I think there is a bug in there somewhere, and it definitely involves
overlapped sequences like that.  I did try to isolate it with mediaServer
and openRTSP, but...haven't had a lot of luck.  I'll let you know if I find
out anything else.